18 August 2014

It's Almost Here!!!


That's right! My favorite time of year is almost here. I can tell it by the sun which is rising later and later into my trek to work.

And this girl is SO excited! 

Today, to remind myself why I put myself through another Texas summer, I baked the first Spice Cake of the Fall. A little premature, yes,  I know. But a girl can dream. 

It started last week at Costco. I bought a whole bunch of pears. (As in, one dozen.) I ate three of them in one week and realized I'd need to do something with them before they went bad. So the hunt began.

Then I found an interesting recipe that called for 2-3lbs of pears, and I was set!

First, I peeled and sliced the pears. 




















Then I made pear sauce. The pears are sweet enough that there is no need for any sugar. All that's in it is pears, water, cinnamon, a squeeze of lemon and a dash of salt. I will be taking some of this in my lunch this week, for sure. 




















Then I added some of the pear sauce to some ap flour, some wheat flour, brown sugar, eggs, butter, baking soda and powder, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt. and made a cake!




















Then I made a pear frosting with cream cheese, powdered sugar, and pear sauce.




















I haven't tried the finished product yet, but I'll let you know how it turns out. 

Patroness of Fall, pray for us! 

1 comment:

  1. You're coming to Colorado (where we have actual Fall) to make this for us. (And by "us" I mean "me," since everyone else seems to not eat gluten anymore.)

    ReplyDelete