21 February 2016

A Family in Shambles

I think everyone thinks their family is dysfunctional. Perhaps even most people are right. It seems obvious to me that Satan would spend so much time attacking the family- the building block of society, and the place where we learn to have relationships, and where people learn to love one another. After all, this is the foundation of God's plan for humanity.

Since my aunt's suicide, my family has sort of spiraled out of control. One of my cousins had a baby last week and he was born addicted to opiates. She and her husband signed away their parental rights and gave him away, and we have no idea about his new family (although I am confident that he is better off). That same cousin has a 22 year old daughter who is currently pregnant with her second child. Since they gave the baby away my aunt is worried that my cousin will try to end her own life, and that aunt already lost her other daughter to an accidental overdose about ten years ago. My grandmother, the matriarch of our family, is in complete denial about the state of things. My mom made the decision over 30 years ago to remove herself from the midst of everything by coming to Texas. She feels guilty and burdened with the "what ifs" and has her own issues to deal with.

I feel emotionally removed from the whole situation for a number of reasons. The first is that I'm physically distant and these people are not a part of my daily life. The second is largely due to the first which is that I have a completely different experience of the world than they do; I was raised completely differently and have a different world view. I don't feel close to them, but I do feel connected.

 I've always been envious of people who have super close family ties, and I've always wanted to be a part of a family that relies on each other for support, and who enjoys each others company. The truth is that the Trinity is my family. They are who I have to rely on, and I am thankful for that.

From the outside looking in, it appears as if Satan has won. It looks as though he has conquered my family and destroyed it from the inside out. Sin and addiction have surely taken a hold of my family, and that is upsetting. But I know that this is just a battle, and that Jesus has already won the war. And I am thankful in any case that I was able to preach the Gospel to my family at my aunt's funeral.

In your kindness, please pray for my family.
Jesus, have mercy on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment