08 March 2018

Where Would You Be?

I have some good news:

I have gotten a very big promotion at work.

I'm nervous and scared and excited and so.incredibly.thankful.

I knew I was getting complacent in my current job, so after two years, I decided to pursue something different. My current job is considered a "destination role," and due to our lack of stress and generous pay structure, my teammates all thought I was crazy for pursuing this particular promotion. My current job is COMFORTABLE. I rarely work more than 45 hours per week, and I NEVER take my work home with me. I'm not the least bit stressed, and I have learned to communicate with my boss. But I wasn't made for comfort.

The new job will require a lot more of me. It will surely be more stressful, and more eyes will be watching me very closely as I ramp up. There have been people who have gotten this promotion and quit within six months because they couldn't make it. I will have to be excellent at my craft in order to succeed.

Today, my new Relationship Manager (my teammate who sets my appointments) was telling me about the work he was doing with the book of clients I will be inheriting. He was asking my preferences for appointment length, if I wanted space between them, etc.
I texted a friend and told her that it's getting real, and finally sinking in that I will be doing this job very soon (starting on St. Joseph's Feast Day!)
I told her I was excited and scared, and she asked me:
"Where would you be if you didn't do things that scare you?!"

What an awesome question. I've been pondering it all afternoon.

If I didn't do things that scare me:
I wouldn't be running a 10k next month
I wouldn't be planning to buy a house this year
I would never have taken golf lessons
I wouldn't have driven a stick shift across Europe
I wouldn't be a Certified Financial Planner
I wouldn't have left FOCUS for Fidelity
I wouldn't have started working at FOCUS
I wouldn't have gone to Auburn

I wouldn't be following Jesus.

So I would be no where.

Where would you be?

1 comment: