29 June 2016

A Few Good Things

Oh, Summer.

We have a love/HATE relationship.

This month has been pretty ho hum, but there are a few highlights.

I went on a retreat at the University of Dallas this past weekend. It was good to take some time to ask God to speak into my life and to try hard to listen. I don't know exactly what the fruit of the retreat will be just yet. As I was driving home from the retreat, I was thinking about all the things I can do for the Kingdom of God: I have the ability to make (and give) a lot of money which can/will do a lot of good, I am an evangelist, I know Jesus and I'm equipped to make Him known.  Then He stopped my utilitarian line of thinking right in its figurative tracks when He told me very clearly that I was worth so much more to Him than what I can do for Him. It was such a great reminder. Our society is so objectifying in so many capacities. But He loves me because of exactly who I am, not because of anything I can/will do for him. (And He loves you because of who you are too.) Sometimes "who I am" feels like a real piece of shit. But where sin abounds, grace abounds all the more!

During the retreat, we watched the movie Karol. (Whole movie on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4bWX9zaFBI)
This movie is the best movie I have ever seen. I have loved SAINT John Paul II since I was little but this movie just takes my love for him to a whole new level. I can't believe I've gone 26 years without seeing this movie. If you've never seen it, please stop reading this post and go watch it. It's worth EVERY MINUTE of the 3 hours.

In other beautiful Pope news, I heard this quote by Pope Francis about Pope Benedict. It's a rough paraphrase because I can't remember the exact wording and now I can't find it. He said something like this: "Pope Emeritus Benedict is so holy, when I read his writings, I feel I should read him on my knees."
I just love the love that they have for one another. Priestly brotherhood has got to be one of the spiritual wonders of the world.

In other news, this evening I finished my 4th golf lesson. I'm having so much fun!! (But I think I will enjoy it even more in the Fall.)

Also, one month from today I'm off to my European Vacation and I.CANNOT.WAIT!

Saints Peter and Paul, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment