02 November 2011

Beautiful Letdown

I'm sorry for the delay in posting, I've been pretty busy!

I have a ton of ideas floating around in my head for blog posts, so hopefully I'll get some time to put my thoughts into words!

Last week, I meet this sweet man, Joe. Joe owns a t-shirt embroidery company here in Auburn and has been so helpful to FOCUS at Auburn. (Yes, we're getting t-shirts!)
Joe has worked on some things for us before (he did our polo shirts for free!), so when I said I was with FOCUS, he jokingly gave me a hard time. He said, "Oh, so you're with that Saint Michael's crowd, huh?" and I said, "Yes, sir!" And he said, "there are a bunch of crazy folks down there," and I said, "Yes, sir, a bunch of sinners," and he said, "that's why I go there! You know what happens when you get too good, don't you? They nail you to a cross."

I wish you could all meet sweet Joe. I pray that we all have his faith, and the ability to so seamlessly share it with others.

That conversation reminded me of a Switchfoot song that was popular when I was in High School. I always liked the song, but I never took the time to hear the words that I was singing in my car on the way to school, or on my iPod while cleaning my room. One day at a meeting for my youth group's Pure Love Club (sounds cheesy but is actually really cool), one of the girls printed out the lyrics for us and gave us time to think about its meaning.

When I first started thinking about it, I was confused. I thought about how it seemed strange that ANYTHING having to do with Christ could be a letdown. Then I heard the line that talks about the Church of the dropouts and losers and sinners and failures and fools. Isn't that amazing? God became man, took on flesh, and allows a sinner and a failure like me to serve Him. He doesn't ask us to be successful, only faithful, and His Church isn't full of holy people, it's full of sinners who have recognized a lacking in their own hearts that can ONLY be filled with His Presence.

Have a listen for yourself.



All you holy men and women, Angels and Saints of God, pray for us.
Holy souls in Purgatory, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment