22 September 2013

Constancy of Love

Last weekend I went to the beach for my 24th Birthday.

For those of you who don't know, I hate my birthday. I am very resistant to change and I especially hate changes which are permanent, such as turning a new age. Something about the way I can never be 23 again just makes me cringe. I think it's because I don't trust the Lord. Actually, I know it. 

Anyways, this year, instead of dreading my birthday, I just decided to think of it like any other day. That made it much more bearable. No expectations, no disappointments. 

The beach was great. We went to Galveston Island in south Texas. Since it was the week after Labor Day, the beaches were pretty empty. It's always nice to be at the beach, and I can always get some good praying and thinking done there. I'm pretty sure this is a common sentiment. 

This is nothing new, I'm not going to say anything that anyone hasn't said or thought about the ocean before, but that's kinda neat. Kinda like the Church. There's not really anything new to say, but contemplating her will always bring about something new. God is always doing something new, even in the Scriptures and in His Church.

The waves of the ocean never stop lapping up against the shore. Sometimes the rush can be calm and peaceful or dangerous and frightening, overwhelming. Things about the ocean change, but the ocean never changes. Constancy is the quality of being faithful and dependable. Just like the Father's love. Unending. Ever ancient, ever new. 

There's something so refreshing about sitting on the edge of something so great and terrible. During the day, it's a paradise. Sun, sand, water, people laughing, couples in love. At night, the opposite is true. It's easy to be afraid of what you can't see lying below the surface. Its vastness seems infinite and it makes one think about their mortality and the vastness that lies beyond this short little life. I don't understand how anyone can go to the ocean and not believe in God. 

St. Brendan, Patron of Seafarers,  pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment