10 February 2013

Life Lately


First up: How about those Mass readings today?! LOVE.

Okay.

So tomorrow is the day all of my fun comes to an end. (Just kidding.)

But yes, I will be entering the "real world" and starting my financial career in just ten short hours! AHHH. Nervous doesn't even begin to describe it!!

After my awesome 3+ week visit to Auburn, I came home and decided to do something productive with my remaining two weeks of freedom. So I cleaned out the garage! It was awesome! I love being organized, and for the first time in over five years, all of my things are in one location and are organized. I threw away a lot, gave away a lot, and organized the rest!

The garage took me almost a week of working on it every day for 3-4 hours. Crazy!

Also, I moved bedrooms. In my old bedroom, there was a wall of mirrors, which I dismantled. I was thinking about what to do with all of the random sized mirrors, and of course, I thought I should break them!

Commence: project that took far too long and far too many trips to Home Depot, Hobby Lobby, and Lowe's!

Since I rarely post pictures on my blog,  I decided to give you a walk through of how things went down.

First, we (Aria and I) went to Home Depot. What a fiasco!! Two girls, completely lost in a hardware store, trying to make an idea into a reality, with a few men (one of them on his first day as a Home Depot employee, haha) trying to keep us from making our dreams come true! (Just kidding, but kinda.) We each bought a 2x4 piece of plywood, some already mixed grout, a grout spreader thing (which I accidentally stole!! Don't worry, I went back and paid for it!), and gloves. We broke the mirrors in a tub with a hammer, using our sunnies as our official protective eyewear. (Safety first!)

Here's mine at the end of Day 1:


Then we ran out of grout... even after Home Depot man told us we had plenty. But, we wanted colored grout anyways so it was okay. The new Home Depot guy told me I could color grout with food coloring, but that seemed a little sketch so I wikihow'd it. (That's a verb now.) Wikihow said to use paint, which made more sense to me. So we went to Hobbs Lobbs because I found out they had a mosaic section. (Aria calls them moziaks, not on purpose, it's hilarious.) We got powdered grout and acrylic paint to dye it, blue for me, purple for Aria. Mixing it was a nightmare, I ran out again and unfortunately, Aria bought black grout, so that meant we had to take another trip. We went to Home Depot again (we know our way around by this point) and got already mixed grout, brought it home, dyed it with paint, and spread it over the top!

Here's mine at the end of Day 2:


Unfortunately, no one told us we had to wipe it off the mirrors before it dried... so this morning we went outside to just windex it and clean it up, and could not get the grout off the mirrors, causing a trip to Lowe's. We would have gone to HD but we were closer to Lowe's so we went there. Lowe's is laid out totally different from HD so we looked like two lost puppies yet again. We bought some grout remover and a scrape-y thing, and finally finished the project! PTL.

Here's the final product! I'm really happy with the way it turned out.


Also, things that could be overheard working on the project:
"We just ruined that kid's first day of work."
"This was a mistake."
"Is this even going to work?"
"I feel like a real artist."
"What do you think this song means?" (multiple times)
"Who is Nicki Minaj, does she sing that 'boom boom pow' song?
"I feel like a sculptor."
"Well... at least it was a learning experience?"
"Bing... tink." (glass breaking, duh)
"I can't walk, my leg's asleep."

Needless to say, we had a ton of fun, and are both really happy with the outcomes.

Now please pray for me to not stick my foot in my mouth on my first day, or trip, or do anything stupid.

Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on us.


No comments:

Post a Comment