08 February 2013

What would you do...

if money wasn't an object?

(Replace money with time if necessary, or really whatever holds you back, I suppose.)


I think this is a great question. For me, money is the issue. Between paying on student loans, and my finance degree's wisdom of "what I could have done if I'd started saving for my retirement at age 6"... I think it's a crux for me.

Now, I'm not asking you to get crazy and start thinking of all the possible "what ifs," just to try to imagine what you'd be doing, in the day in and day out of life, if there were no obstacles.

I suppose a lot of people's first reaction would be to take an extravagant vacation, or to go to another country, or even to go visit distant relatives. These are all good things, but when you think about what your daily life would look like if there were no obstacles, what would you be doing?

I think in the discernment of this question, we can find the answers to our heart's desires. I think we can find a glimpse of Heaven in these musings.

My first inclination is that I would be a stay-at-home mom. But that requires a husband and children, which money cannot buy. (To those of you who read this blog and think that being a stay-at-home mom isn't a "real" job or that the very idea is oppressive to women, please excuse my lack of worldly ambition in exchange for the desires of a feminine heart... and my sarcastic remark.)

Seeing as I cannot at this point make decisions for a future family or lack thereof, I think I'd go to medical school (if I could get in). I am so interested in how God made the human body to work, and how all of it proclaims that He is good. I've always been really interested in obstetrics.. the idea of helping to bring a new life into the world is amazing! I think doctors can evangelize their patients in radical ways, and often their patients are vulnerable and ready to hear the Good News.

If not medical school, I would definitely do some sort of mission work. For now, my mission is here at home, with my new family and my new job. Thanks be to God!

I think over the years, my answer to this question will change. I don't think it's healthy to live in an ideal world all of the time, but it's good to reassess your values every once in a while, to remember why you're doing the things you're doing. That being said, life is far too short to spend it doing something you hate.

Does this post sound condescending? If so, my apologies, it was not meant to be.

I seem to do my best thinking after midnight. Strange.

St. Rose of Lima, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment